CHAPTER 2

Physical Characteristics


Topographical and Hydrological Features

     Nature's generosity has much to do why the land, though rugged in character, has coastal and river valley plains which offer extensive, fertile irrigated lands to agriculturists.

     Numerous rivers and streams traverse the province but none are navigable by large vessels. Its five principal rivers are: Bongabong, Butas, Cagayan, Pola and Mag-asawanf Tubig. Lake Naujan, the fifth largest lake in the country, with 69.9 square kilometers, is also found in the province.

Land Classification

     In 2006, 222.9 thousand hectares or 51.07 percent of the province’s total land area of 436.5 thousand hectares were certified alienable and disposable land while the remaining 213.6 thousand hectares or 48.93 percent were forested. Of the total forest land, 0.07 percent was unclassified lands while 99.93 percent were classified into: 85.7 thousand hectares, established forest reserves; 79.3 thousand hectares, established timberlands; 44.3 thousand hectares as part of the national parks and 4.2 thousand hectares were either civil reservation or used as fishponds.

Soil Type

     Oriental Mindoro has many types of soil varying from clay loam to beach sand.

Climate

     Records on climatological normals revealed that, from 1995 to 2000, the month of December had the most number of rainy days (20days), while March had the least number with 9 rainfalls.

     From January to December, mean temperature was registered at 27.2°C with minimum temperature of 23.4°C. The coldest temperature was recorded during the month of January with mean temperature of 25.5°C.

     Mean sea level pressure is 1,010.3 millibars with prevailing wind directed on the northeast and a speed of 2 miles per second.

Related Tables...

Types of Soil in Oriental Mindoro
Table 1. Status of Land Classification: 1994-2006
Table 2. Summary Statistics on Climatological Normals by Month: 1995-2008

[back] [next]