CHAPTER 9

Agriculture

     Statistical tables contained in this chapter were taken from the results of the 2002 Census of Agriculture that was undertaken by the National Statistics Office. For the 2002 Census, a farm is defined as any piece or pieces of land used wholly or partly for any agricultural activity and as such had to satisfy any of the following conditions: a.) a total area of at least 1,000 sq.m. devoted to crops; b.) a total area of at least 10 hectares were under permanent meadows/pastures; c.) with at least 10 heads of large animals such as carabao, etc. or 20 heads of small animals such as hog, etc., regardless of age and kind, were raised; d.) with at least 100 heads of poultry such as chicken or 50 heads of rabbits, regardless of age and kind, were raised; e.) the combination of land area and animals raised amounting to at least 10 agricultural units. One agricultural unit is equivalent to one tenth of the cut-off in each of the aforementioned categories.

     The concepts and definitions, scope and coverage of the 1960, 1971, 1980, 1991 and 2002 censuses of agriculture are basically the same. However, results may not be entirely comparable due to differences in the definition of farm, reference period, and sampling design.

     In 1991, pineapple was treated as temporary crop. Hence the data for this crop was in terms of area planted and not the number of hills. Following the Food and Agriculture (FAO) classification of pineapple as permanent crop, data for this crop for CA 2002 was in terms of number of hills.

Number and Area of Farms

     The total number and area of farms increased by 8.06 percent and 4.02 percent, respectively based on the 2002 Census of Agriculture.

     About 43.56 percent of the farms had sizes between 1-2.99 hectares; 31.27 percent, less than 1 hectare; 13.83 percent, between 3-4.99 hectares; 8.65 percent, between 5-9.99 hectares; 2.43 percent, between 10-24.99 percent and only 0.25 percent were farms with sizes 25 hectares or more.

Farms by Land Use

     Land under permanent crops, covered 91.5 thousand hectares; lands under permanent meadows pastures, 1.3 thousand hectares; and lands covered with forest growth and other types of lands, 4.3 thousand hectares.

     Arable lands totaled 52.6 thousand hectares, of which 97.20 percent were lands under temporary crops while the remaining 2.80 percent were idle land.

Farms by Type and by Tenure

     Most of the farms were fully-owned constituting 49.96 percent of the total number of farms. Partly-owned farms numbered 26.66 percent, rented/leased, 19.63 percent, rent-free, 3.09 percent while only 0.66 percent farms under other forms of tenure. 

 Livestock and Poultry Population

      By type of farm, 54.6 thousand hectares or 36.34 percent were coconut farms, 30.24 percent were palay farms while banana and citrus constituted 11.02 and 10.93 percent, respectively. The remaining 11.46 percent were other types of farm which included other temporary crops, other permanent crops, cattle, hog, other livestock, chicken, other poultry and others not elsewhere classified.

 

Related Tables...

Table 1. Number of Farms by Size: 1971, 1980, 1991 and 2002
Table 2. Number and Area of Farms by Land Use: 1980, 1991 and 2002
Table 3. Number and Area of Farms by Size and Land Use: 2002 ( Area in hectares )
Table 4a. Number and Area of Farms by Type of Tenure: 1980, 1991 and 2002
          4b. Number and Area of Farms by Size and Tenure: 2002
Table 5. Number and Area of Farms by Tenure and by Municipality:
Table 6. Number and Area of Farms by Type and Tenure: 2002
Table 7. Number of Farms Reporting and Area Planted by Kind of Temporary Crop: 2002 (Area in hectares)
Table 8. Number of Farms Reporting, Total Number of Trees/Vines/Hills and Number of Productive Trees/Hills/Vines By Kind of           Permanent Crop: 2002
Table 9a. Livestock - Number of Farms Reporting and Population by Size of Farm: 2002
          9b. Poultry - Number of Farms Reporting and Population by Size of Farm: 2002
Table 10. Number and Area of Irrigated Farms by Size of Farm and Land Use: 2002 (Area in hectares)
Table 11. Number of Agriculture, Forestry and Fishery Establishments by Actual Total Engaged by City/Municipality: 1999-2008
Table 12. Distribution of Employed Persons in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishery Establishments by Actual Total Engaged by
         City/Municipality: 1999-2008
         


[back] [next]